I am an author and illustrator of children's books and I'm happiest drawing and telling stories. Screen-printing is my media of choice and I'm forever in love with it. I work by hand and like it that my illustrations exist in the real world.
I was born in sunny Rio and brought up in the Brazilian countryside. After studying art and design, I went travelling and came across the MA in Children's Book Illustration at the Cambridge School of Art, from where I graduated in 2014.
Alongside my literary work, I also make contemporary pop paintings. You can check out my art at fabisantiagoart.com.
I work from my studio in London, where I live with a ginger fellow and our ever growing family of cats.
Click here for my CV.
Ten fun facts about me
- Once I had a pet bat called Syrius.
- I went to law school for three years. I'm glad I dropped out, because creating stories and drawing pictures don't make a good lawyer.
- My favourite sports are skiing, kayaking and cycling.
- I really like odd pets and used to have over 400 giant snails. I decided to take them back to nature when they started eating our books.
- Once I cycled down a volcano in Hawaii. It was fun.
- We have three cats, but I keep trying to convince my partner to adopt more.
- Speaking of cats, my daughter is also a crazy cat lady and an artist.
- My favourite food is padrón peppers. They're a Spanish side dish and I can have a whole bucket of them in one go.
- I love camping, if it weren't for my cats and all my art materials, I could probably live in a tent.
- My favourite ice-cream flavour is stracciatella. Yum!
- Showing a bit of my illustration process at Books For Keeps
- A peek at how I made the cover illustration of Once We Were Witches for Egmont UK
- That time I talked about being an artist for Projeto Curadoria (in Portuguese BR)
- When Tiger in a Tutu got a review at CBI / Children's Books Ireland
- A fun review of I Really Want that Unicorn at Read It Daddy
- That time I was interviewed at Reading Zone
* * *